INDIA: Yellikodige Estate - Single Origin - 100% Arabica - NEWLY ARRIVED

Regular price £8.50
/
Tax included.

 

  • INDIA: Yellikodige Estate

    Country: India
    State: Karnataka
    District: Chikmagalur
    Estate: Yellikodige Estate
    Producer: Ekata
    Elevation: 1300 masl
    Variety: S795 / Kent / Yellow Bourbon
    Process: Anaerobic Washed
    Screen Size: 15+
    Tasting notes:  Pear, Honey and Nougat.

    Breaking more ground than an 21st century urban developer, we're ecstatic to announce our first Indian coffee, extending the long list of regions we have visited for our single-origin offerings.

    Whilst India is more synonymous with tea production, its Arabica coffee production has improved enormously in recent years.

    Our supplier from Indochina, who has provided coffee from China and Myanmar, has sourced this clean and vibrant Indian 100% Arabica speciality coffee, from Karnataka and the folks at Ekata Coffee.

    Ekata has been experimenting in fermentation methods in working to an organic standard. It bought a 150 year-old plantation at Yellikodige, transforming it into diverse farm which produces other crops including mango and avocado. Such diversity ensure a thriving variety of bird species - currently 75 different types.

    This specific lot from Yellikodige is washed after being fermented anaerobically, resulting in a clean, bright cup, with sweet peach notes and a hint of nougat. We would recommend this for both espresso and pour-over - it's a true all-rounder.

  • INDIA: Yellikodige Estate

    Country: India
    State: Karnataka
    District: Chikmagalur
    Estate: Yellikodige Estate
    Producer: Ekata
    Elevation: 1300 masl
    Variety: S795 / Kent / Yellow Bourbon
    Process: Anaerobic Washed
    Screen Size: 15+
    Tasting notes:  Pear, Honey and Nougat.

    The Farm

    Yellikodige Estate is our first Indian coffee courtesy of Ekata Coffee, from Chikmagalur in Karnataka state. Yellikodige Estate is a 150-year-old plantation with around 20 – 25 different crops grown alongside coffee, including jackfruit, fig, mango, black plum, citrus fruits, avocado, and black pepper. The Ficus trees throughout the estate help to provide shaded canopy, protecting the coffee from the humidity in the summer. With around 75 species of bird, the estate operates as a balanced ecosystem. The farm is working towards Demeter certification, adhering to a system of organic and biodynamic agricultural practices.

    The team at Ekata gave up their careers for the love of coffee and an ambition to take specialty Indian coffee to the world. Composed of people from different walks of life who have worked in the past as sailors, architects, businessmen, R&D professionals, who have come together driven by their one true love for coffee and organic living. There is also a passion for innovation in processing methods, experimenting with anaerobic fermentation and fermenting coffee cherries with other fruits to create exotic flavour profiles.

    Processing Information

    Ripe cherries are hand picked and then rinsed to clean and remove floaters. The coffee cherry is then pulped to remove the skin, fruit and mucilage. The coffee undergoes 48 hours of anaerobic fermentation in closed tanks prior to being dried on raised beds for 16 to 18 days.

    Coffee History in India

    India has been a major producer of coffee since ancient times. Legend has it that 16th century Sufi, Baba Budan, so enthused by coffee when travelling through the Middle East, brought seven coffee beans from Yemen and planted them in Chandragiri, a hilly region located in the Indian state of Karnataka. India is the third-largest producer and exporter of coffee in Asia, and the sixth-largest producer in the world. The majority of Indian coffee is exported, providing a significant contribution to the Indian economy among other plantation crops. Currently, there are over 52,000 coffee gardens generating employment opportunities to 2.5 million people. Around 70% of coffee grown in India is robusta, with the remaining 30% arabica. Coffee is traditionally grown in the Western Ghats spread over Karnataka, Kerala and Tamil Nadu. Karnataka is the largest producer accounting for about 70 per cent of the total coffee production, with Kerala and Tamil Nadu accounting for around 23% and 7% respectively of total production.

This year we won a Great Taste Award and are a National Finalist in the Rural Business Awards

Rinaldo's is so much more than speciality coffee and fine tea. We offer all manner equipment and training solutions. The sourcing of our materials and products is ethical and fully traceable. Our packaging is 100% plastic and foil-free. We love what we do. We're highly skilled, yet always eager to learn more from you. We have so much fun at work. How cool is that?